I grew up in Las Vegas, my Dad was a mission priest for the Episcopal Church and worked for the Bishop of Nevada. My Mom (after four boys were out of the house) worked for the Clark County School District , teaching 7th grade English and social studies at Woodbury Jr. High in Las Vegas. I graduated from Western High School in Las Vegas in 1966 and entered the U.S. Navy, immediately following graduation.
I am a Vietnam veteran and served aboard USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31), USS Durham (LKA-114), and the Naval Radio Station at Jim Creek, Washington. I was honorably discharged from the Navy in May, 1970, as ETR-2 (E-5) electronics technician, specializing in shipboard radar maintenance. Following naval service, I attended UNLV (1970-74), graduating cum laude with a BA in History (GPA 3.78), then Indiana University, receiving the MLS (Master of Library Science) degree in 1976 (GPA 4.0).
My professional library experience includes: Head of Extension Services at Kokomo Public Library, Kokomo, IN, 1976-78; Director of the Hays Public Library, Hays, KS, 1978-81; Director of Garfield Co. Public Library, New Castle, CO, 1981-84; Director of Albany Co. Library, Laramie, WY, 1984-89; and Director of Boulder City Library District, 1989-2008. I retired from Boulder City Library District on July 1, 2008. I married Mary Elizabeth Lee, of Henderson, NV, on December 27, 1971. We have one daughter, Elizabeth, now married. She graduated from the UNLV Hotel School, and is living in Las Vegas. We have resided in Boulder City since July, 1989. ORGANIZATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- Member of American Library Association, Mountain-Plains Library Association, and Nevada Library Association
- Member of Rotary Club of Boulder City since June, 1989
- Past president, Rotary Club of Boulder City, 1993-94
- 4th of July Rotary Pancake chairman, 2004 – present
- Past president, Nevada Library Association, 1996
- Treasurer, Nevada Library Association, 1994-95 and 1997-98
- Past president, Kiwanis Club of Laramie, WY, 1987
- Graduate of Boulder City Police Department (BCPD) Citizen’s Academy
- Volunteer member of BC Juvenile Conference Committee
- Past board member, Boulder City-Hoover Dam Museum and Historical Society
- Delegate to the (NV) Governor’s Conference on the Future of Libraries, 1990 (6/8/09)
City Council Video Channel